thoughts on parenthood


Last week marks the first year of me being a parent. Looking back there were lots of things that I have learned and that made me realize how much I do not know and there are still going to be a lot more that is yet to be learned. I love being a mom. For a start I have a beautiful daughter whom I hold very dear to my heart. And that is all that I could ever need in my life.

Parenthood to me is a journey that you take the moment you hold a child in your arm for the first time. Its a life long learning process and like anything else, you learn something new everyday through trial and error. Let me be honest with you, though. When I gave birth to my baby girl I was absolutely clueless about what it's like to be a mother. I do not know how bad sleepless night would be when all you ever want to do is go to sleep. I do not know how awful it feels when your child is sick for the first time when all you want is for her to be healthy always. I have no idea how worried I would be when she fell down for the first time.

But then life gets better. We move on. And we start to become a better parent. I started to learn from my mistakes because being a parent does not mean you will never make any mistake because chances are, you will. Being a parent means despite you making a mistake, you will also learn something form it. Its all part of the process of becoming a parent.

 Before I become a parent, I do not know how amazing it feels seeing your daughter's smile for the first time. I do not know how peaceful it feels watching a child sleeping. I do not know how miraculous it would be seeing her growing up before your very eyes. I do not know how excited I would be seeing her reaching all the milestones and recording her every moves. I do not know how happy I would feel when I saw her every firsts.

And then before long you start to wonder if you are a good parent to your child. If you have actually shower her enough love and tender loving care. If you have actually provide the best for her, give her everything she ever needs. If you can make her happy with what you have.

If there's one thing I know of parenthood is this: it never gets easier, you just get better. Being a parent came with a huge responsibilities and not everyone can actually manage to handle it. But it also came with a huge rewards and satisfaction. Seeing your daughter smile when she wakes up in the morning makes you feel like everything is so worth it. And life suddenly starts to feel meaningful and beautiful once again.


Post a Comment